Microsoft Corporation, Principal PM Manager, Microsoft Edge
Since June 2014, I have been a PM Manager on the Web Platform team. I have been working on making the web more interoperable and fast for Microsoft Edge, a new browser built for Windows 10 with modern web interoperability, industry leading performance, and innovative user experiences in mind.
I run the Networking, Storage, HTML5 Media, Real-Time Communications, and Enterprise teams for the Microsoft Edge web platform. My team is currently building Progressive Web App support in Windows, Service Workers for better performance, offline support and push notifications, TLS 1.3 for faster and more secure networking, Web Authentication for biometric authentication through Windows Hello, improving web real-time communications through WebRTC and ORTC, supporting 4K HDR scenarios, and other areas.
In the past, I have also worked on helping design our HTML platform infrastructure, including bringing up the new EdgeHTML browser engine and building on top of the Windows Universal Platform so Microsoft Edge can run on Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox, HoloLens, SurfaceHub.
W3C, Chair, Service Worker working group
Since August 2017, I have been co-chairing the Service Worker working group which is chartered to build the Service Worker API, allowing web applications to work offline, run background activities, and support push notifications.
W3C, Editor, HTML working group
From January 2013 to May 2014, I helped edit the HTML5 Canvas 2D Context standard. The Canvas 2D Context provides objects, methods, and properties to draw and manipulate graphics on a canvas drawing surface and is used today for gaming, animations, and ads on the web.
W3C, Editor, Web Performance working group
From August 2011 to May 2014, I helped design APIs that help developers both better measure their performance impact and build more CPU and power efficient web applications.
Microsoft Corporation, Senior Lead Program Manager, Internet Explorer
From February 2008 through May 2014, I focused on modernizing the Internet Explorer web platform and helped ship IE8, IE9, IE10, and IE11.
As a Lead Program Manager, I was focused on modernizing the Internet Explorer web platform and helped ship IE8, IE9, IE10, and IE11.
I also ran the Enterprise team and developed the Enterprise Mode set of features to help Enterprise customers more easily upgrade to the latest version of the browser while keeping their existing line of business applications working.
Intel Corporation, Hardware Engineer, Flash Memory
In 2006, I was a Hardware Engineer at Intel focused on measuring and making flash memory faster.
Research In Motion, Software Developer, Location Based Services
In 2005, I was a Software Developer working on the Blackberry Maps applications. As a part of my role, I designed efficient mapping algorithms, as well as the visual look and feel for the map application, patterns that are now ubiquitous in modern mapping applications.
Simon Fraser University, Engineering Science, B.ASc. Honours
I hold a Bachelor of Applied Sciences degree in Computer Engineering.
Aligning Script Animation with Display Refresh
Jatinder Mann, et al., Microsoft Corporation, Patent No. 8,884,970.
Chair, W3C Service Worker Working Group
Editor, W3C HTML Working Group
Editor, W3C Web Performance Working Group
- High Resolution Time L1
- High Resolution Time L2
- Page Visibility
- Navigation Timing 2
- Resource Timing
- User Timing
- Performance Timeline
- Navigation Error Logging
- Resource Error Logging
- Efficient Script Yielding (setImmediate)
- Resource Priorities
Contributor, W3C Web Performance Working Group
Writing and Videos
- MS Edge Blog | Service Workers: Going beyond the page
- Windows Experience Blog | Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge
- MS Edge Blog | Managing Microsoft Edge in the enterprise
- MS Edge Blog | A world without passwords: Windows Hello in Microsoft Edge
- MS Edge Blog | Continuing to make it easier for Enterprise customers to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 — and Windows 10
- MS Edge Blog | Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver
- IE Blog | Making it easier for Enterprise customers to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 — and Windows 10
- IE Blog | Understanding the Real-World Performance of your Web Application Across IE11 and Other Browsers
- A List Apart | Performance Matters
- IE Blog | Using Hardware to Decode and Load JPG Images up to 45% faster in Internet Explorer 11
- .Net Magazine Issue #244 | 25 HTML5 Speed Tips
- IE Blog | Web Performance APIs Rapidly Become W3C Recommendations
- IE Blog | W3C Web Performance: Continuing Performance Investments
- Build 2012 | 50 Performance Tricks to make your HTML5 apps and sites faster
- IE Blog | Web Performance: When millisecond resolution just isn’t enough
- IE Blog | W3C Web Performance Workshop
- IE Blog | Web Performance APIs Rapidly Become W3C Candidate Recommendations
- Benchmark: The Mobile & Internet Performance Review | Improving Web Performance: It’s all in the (Navigation) Timing
- Building Windows 8 | Internet Explorer Performance Lab: reliably measuring browser performance
- IE Blog | The Year in Review: W3C Web Performance Working Group
- IE Blog | Using PC Hardware more efficiently in HTML5: New Web Performance APIs, Part 1
- IE Blog | Using PC Hardware more efficiently in HTML5: New Web Performance APIs, Part 2
- MIX11 Conference | Deep Dive into HTML5
- IE Blog | Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate available via Automatic Update
- Technet Video Interview | Internet Explorer 9 for IT Pros
- IE Blog | Debugging Common Canvas Issues
- IE Blog | IE9 Includes Hardware Accelerated Canvas
- IE Blog | Application Compatibility Logging in IE8
- IE Blog | The IE8 IEAK
- IE Blog | Improving the Education Experience with Internet Explorer 8
- IE Blog | IE8 Group Policy
- IE Blog | Now Available: Internet Explorer 8 MUI packs for Windows XP, Windows Server 03
- IE Blog | Now Available: IEAK8 can create custom Internet Explorer 8 packages in 19 additional languages
- Technet Interview | IEAK8 screencast demo and PM interview
Conferences and Presentations
- Microsoft Ignite 2015 | Session Speaker
- TechReady 2015 | Session Speaker
- “Project Spartan” Developer Workshop March 2015 | Session Speaker
- Microsoft Enterprise Customer Summit January 2015 | Session Speaker
- Microsoft Security Response Alliance (MSRA) Summit 2013 | Session Speaker
- Windows Engineering Readiness Training 2013 | Session Speaker
- W3C Workshop on Performance 2012 | Session Speaker
- Build 2012 | Session Speaker | Video
- Build 2011 | HOL Session
- MIX 2011 | Session Speaker | Video
- MIX 2011 | Ask the Experts
- PDC 2010 | Ask the Experts
- TechReady 2010 | Ask the Experts
- TechReady 2009 | Session Speaker
- Windows Desktop Advisory Council 2009 | Session Speaker
- TechReady 2008 | Session Speaker
- IE Test Drive | Particle Acceleration
- IE Test Drive | What Time Is It?
- IE Test Drive | Page Visibility
- IE Test Drive | RequestAnimationFrame
- IE Test Drive | Canvas Pad
- Engineering Science Special Project Award
- Canada Millennium Scholarship Excellence Award
- Governor General’s Bronze Medal
- Science Council of British Columbia Achievement Award
- British Columbia Provincial Scholarship